In 1921, the state legislature mandated that the University Extension Services operate as a financially self-sufficient unit. The mandate appeared to be an impediment to growth at the time, but in the long term, it meant that the Extension Service became more flexible and responsive to changing times and public needs.
A total of 1,057 students were enrolled in the 49 classes offered during the 1921–1922 school year.
Winter quarter of 1923 saw the introduction of classes that highlighted a growing interest in personal travel, including a classroom study of motor vehicles and a class in transportation covering Pacific Coast problems. These offerings aligned with increased automobile use and related issues of roads and moving people or goods.
In 1924, the cost for courses was set at $4 per credit hour and remained at that level for decades. By comparison, the UW’s tuition for in-state students had been set at $15 per quarter in 1921 ($50 per quarter for nonresidents). These tuition levels also remained unchanged for decades.
Next Page >>