Designing Effective Groupwork in Mathematics
Participants learn the principles and practices of Complex Instruction, an effective group-based pedagogy grounded in research. Participants gain tools and strategies to ensure that ALL students, regardless of their ethnic, language, socio-economic, and/or achievement backgrounds, have equal-status participation in small groups and are held accountable for learning rigorous mathematics.
- Consider the impact of teachers’ beliefs as they shape students’ beliefs about math, learning, and participation, and reframe issues of smartness in school mathematics.
- Learn strategies to promote equal-status participation within small groups.
- Begin to examine how to assess students’ mathematical understanding in the context of cooperative group work.
- Identify/develop group-worthy tasks from their curricular materials.
- Create and present a lesson which includes a group-worthy task.
Find the Offering That's Right for You
We offer programs throughout the year in different locations and learning formats designed to meet your education needs. To learn more about this program, select one of the following sections.
Presently no sections are available for review.
Presently no sections are underway.