Genealogy & Family History
Part of the Certificate in Genealogy & Family History.
This introductory course places genealogical research techniques within a family history context.
- Vital records, oral history and interviewing techniques
- Interpretation of photographs
- Genealogical software and internet resources
- U.S. immigration, migration and historical evidence
- Cemeteries, mortuaries and obituaries
- U.S. census and occupational mobility
Participants critique a family history case study and prepare an analysis of family history using terms discussed in lectures and readings. Some optional field trips to local archives and libraries may be scheduled outside of class time.