Nutrition for Today (NUTR 300)
The basic principles of human nutrition are examined, emphasizing the nutrients, their food sources, and their utilization in the body for health and development throughout the life cycle. This course focuses on the practical application of nutrition science in disease prevention, healthy aging, weight management and general health, while also considering the psychological, social and environmental influences on food choices..
- Describe and categorize the functions of macronutrients and micronutrients, and identify sources of each
- Describe diet and lifestyle factors associated with the risk of various chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and osteoporosis
- Compare dietary needs for different stages of life
- Translate nutrition science concepts into specific and easy-to-understand dietary recommendations
- Evaluate the scientific relevancy of nutrition messages available on the Internet and other media
- Apply your knowledge of nutrition, dietary guidelines, and the relationship between diet and health as you assess your own diet and diet-related health risks
Find the Offering That's Right for You
We offer programs throughout the year in different locations and learning formats designed to meet your education needs. To learn more about this program, select one of the following sections.
Presently no sections are underway.