About this Course
In this course, students build on a previously developed framework to explore in detail how health care entities use analytics to inform decision making. The goal is for students to gain practical knowledge of the reality of health care analytics.
A theoretical approach to this discipline is often constrained by resources – both technical and financial – and the availability of data. By examining case studies from existing companies, students learn how analytics are used to answer a particular question and work within those constraints to create practical solutions. Each case study will supply students with data sets they can use to develop their own solutions.
The capstone project for the certificate program requires implementing an analytic solution and exploring how data can be used to understand:
- How analysts approach problems and the types of solutions available
- How a problem is defined and how communication and iteration are used in solution development
- How to identify the data required to solve a problem
- What data is required to answer the question or solve the problem
- How to create a standalone data product or report
- How to present and implement a solution, including communicating how the solution was created and used within the organization