About this Course
Innovation is often thought of as a messy affair, where trial and error, failure, and frustration eventually give way to a brilliant finished product. But innovation doesn't have to be a difficult, formless process. Design thinking is a powerful technique for understanding and solving real customer needs and problems. It’s a structured process that helps you move through the tangle of research and free-form thinking to ultimately design and build an innovative, human-centered solution.
During this fast-paced workshop, you’ll work in small teams with preselected corporate partners to innovate solutions to the challenges and opportunities that the companies are facing. You’ll start out learning about the design thinking methodology — problem definition, ideation, prototyping and testing — and then engage in hands-on working sessions with partner stakeholders to design an actual product or service. Practice the skills necessary to communicate human-centered design solutions within a business context, gain experience in uncovering new opportunities, and learn essential facilitation techniques to lead research studies and speak with users.
We’ll hear from guest speakers with expertise in design thinking and customer development and learn how their companies design and test new consumer-facing software and experiences.
Executives, managers and team members involved in strategic challenges and driving growth and product and service innovation.
What You'll Learn
- The components of design thinking and what the process involves
- How to define and articulate a clear problem statement
- How to conduct user interviews and compile results
- Prototyping and how to run user tests
- How to give and receive critiques and iterate
Get Hands-On Experience
- Practice applying the design thinking methodology from start to finish
- Make sense of research findings and use them to inform product decisions
- Create product specs, design a user interface and work with corporate partners to build a final deliverable