About this Course
This is an online course, with a one-day, all-class, real-time online session and nine online self-paced sessions.
The one-day real-time session focuses on deepening and generalizing the collective understanding of effective foundational coaching practices. You'll observe and critique practices in a variety of situations, then share and receive feedback about individual practice.
The remaining sessions rely on self-guided slide presentations, interactive discussion forums and active use of the Coaching Companion website. You'll engage with your peers to reflect on and analyze the empirical and practitioner literature about coaching, as well as to weave into your practice the foundational skills developed during the one-day session. Video-recorded assignments are a critical element of the course, supporting self-reflection, assessment and feedback from instructors and peers.
- Adult learning theory
- The definition, background and foundations of the coaching profession
- Culturally responsive coaching
- The role of power dynamics in coaching
- Practices and strategies that promote self-awareness and resilience
- Technology used in practice-based coaching
- Engaging interactions and environments
- Creating a SMART goal and action plan to support engaging interactions and environments
- Using focused observation to support a SMART goal and action plan and to facilitate reflection and provide feedback