With a self-paced program, there is no application deadline — you can apply and start the program whenever you'd like.
Step 1: Gather the following materials
- A brief letter (250-word maximum) that describes your relevant experience, transferable skills, knowledge of the field and commitment to professional growth
- A resume that highlights how your education and any applicable experience fulfill the program’s admission requirements
Step 2: Apply
Complete your application and submit the materials listed in step 1, along with your $50 nonrefundable application fee.
We’ll contact you within seven business days of receiving your complete application materials to let you know if you’ve been accepted to the program.
If you’re accepted, we’ll send you details about your first course, including information on paying your course fee. Note: You have 24 weeks to register for your first course after being accepted. After that, you'll need to reapply to the program before you can register.
You may qualify for an income-based scholarship for this program. For more information, see the Scholarships page.
To apply, you must have:
- Two years of college
- Two years of experience in any professional setting where your responsibilities required writing, reading, and the ability to communicate and engage with others using American English
- Solid grammar skills, as demonstrated by your application letter
- Be an attentive reader with strong reading comprehension skills
- Desire to work as an editor in a professional capacity
- Willingness to engage with course content and contribute to class discussions
You should expect to spend six to 10 hours a week on coursework, including weekly class or online modules, depending on the learning format.
If you're not a native English speaker, you’ll need to have advanced English language skills to enroll. To learn more, see English Language Proficiency Requirements.
Classroom students will need:
- Laptop to bring to class that has a recent operating system such as Windows 7 or later or Mac OSX 10.6 or later, and recent versions of Microsoft Word (2010 or later) and Adobe Acrobat Reader
Online students will need:
- Access to a computer that has a recent operating system such as Windows 7 or later or Mac OSX 10.6 or later, and recent versions of Microsoft Word (2010 or later) and Adobe Acrobat Reader
- High-speed internet connection
- Headset with microphone
EARNING THE CERTIFICATE
You earn the certificate by adhering to your program's attendance policy and successfully completing all required courses. To continue in the program, participants must pass a grammar test during the first quarter. For more information, see Earning the Certificate.