About this Program
In this three-course certificate program, we’ll explore state-of-the-art methods in aircraft composite design. You’ll learn how to apply carbon fiber reinforced plastics (CFRP) to aircraft structures to improve performance and reduce weight. We’ll cover all the major areas of the field, including mechanics, materials, analysis methods and design aspects. Develop the ability and knowledge to produce cutting-edge designs and analysis.
This program is for Boeing employees only. You should have a bachelor’s degree in engineering with a background in mechanics of materials. Those who want a refresher course or an introduction to the subject should consider taking Composite Materials Overview for Engineers.
what you'll learn
- Composite fundamentals, including tooling and manufacturing processes, composite fabrication practice, structural testing, and inspection and repair
- Analysis methods for composite laminates
- Damage-tolerant design and repair design
- Design methodologies for composite aircraft parts, including design for manufacturing, preliminary design and detail design
- CAD modeling of composite parts and fuselage structural optimization
You’ll have the opportunity to work in a UW composites lab.