About this Program
The number of female-owned businesses in the United States has soared in recent years. One major study found that the number of these companies increased nearly five times faster than overall business growth between 2007 and 2018. As Angela Braly, the former CEO of WellPoint Health Networks, once said, "The most important factor in determining whether you will succeed isn't your gender, it's you. Be open to opportunity and take risks.”
This certificate program explores the fundamental principles of entrepreneurship that are paramount for success in today’s business climate. You’ll learn what makes for a compelling vision and how to craft a business plan to execute that vision. We’ll examine all major aspects of founding and operating a business — finance, sales and marketing, HR, management and more — and discuss common traits of successful startups. We’ll also explore key roles within the broader entrepreneurial ecosystem.
Women who want to start or operate their own business, join an early-stage startup, invest in or advise a new company, pitch a new venture at their current workplace or become leaders.
What You’ll Learn
- How to refine your vision to design a business model and implement a winning business strategy
- Methods for defining customer segments, needs and pain points and for optimizing sales and marketing channels
- Essential skills for budgeting, financial modeling, forecasting, and risk assessment and mitigation
- Strategies for pitching a proposal to investors, partners and management
- Insights on your leadership style and tips for overcoming common barriers facing women in the workplace
Get Hands-On Experience
- Build and pitch your business plan and get guidance and inspiration from established entrepreneurs and investors
- Work in teams to evaluate and support each other’s ideas
- Reflect on how to leverage your strengths with the guidance of a leadership coach
APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP
You may be eligible to apply for a UW Certificate Scholarship to cover most of the costs of this program. Scholarships are awarded based on financial need and the potential of the program to positively impact your career. This scholarship is funded in part by the Seattle Finance Collective. For more information, see the Certificate Scholarship page.