About this Program
They say necessity is the mother of invention. Since 2020, a golden age of entrepreneurship has emerged, born out of economic need. According to the Kauffman Foundation, a grantmaking organization focused on advancing entrepreneurship, 30% of new entrepreneurs in 2020 had previously been unemployed. These new entrepreneurial leaders need to know how to create sustainable value and launch ideas, motivate and develop talented people, and champion innovative approaches.
In this program, you'll learn how to craft a compelling pitch to execute your vision. We'll examine all major aspects of founding and operating a business — finance, sales and marketing, human resources and more — and discuss common traits of successful startups, investors and intrapreneurs. We'll also explore key roles within the broader entrepreneurial ecosystem. Finally, you’ll build your own leadership persona.
Anyone who wants to start or operate their own business, join an early stage startup, invest in or advise a new company, pitch a new venture at their current workplace or become a stronger leader.
What You’ll Learn
- How to refine your vision to design a business model and implement a winning business strategy
- Methods for defining customer segments, needs and pain points, and for optimizing sales and marketing channels
- Essential skills for budgeting, financial modeling, forecasting, and risk assessment and mitigation
- How to understand and navigate the entrepreneurial ecosystem
- Insights on your leadership style, personal strengths and areas for improvement, and tips for overcoming common barriers in the workplace
Get Hands-On Experience
- Build and pitch your business plan and get guidance and inspiration from established entrepreneurs and investors
- Work in small teams to evaluate and support each other's ideas
- Reflect on how to leverage your strengths with the guidance of a leadership coach
Earn a Joint UW-WWU Certificate
Offered jointly by UWPCE and Western Washington University Outreach and Continuing Education, the fall offering of this program meets in person in Everett and draws students from counties across western Washington. Once you complete the program, you'll earn a joint UW-WWU certificate.
APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP
You may be eligible to apply for a UW Certificate Scholarship to cover most of the costs of this program. Scholarships are awarded based on financial need and the potential of the program to positively impact your career. This scholarship is funded in part by the Seattle Finance Collective. For more information, see the Certificate Scholarship page.
Alumni working in field
Amazon, The New York Times, Expedia, The Everett Clinic, Wizards of the Coast, Self-employed/business owner
OUR ENROLLMENT COACHES ARE HERE TO HELP
Want more info about this offering? Connect with an enrollment coach to learn more. Or if you need help finding the right certificate program or course for you, reach out to explore your options.