About this Course
There is special magic in picture books. These works touch both the child experiencing story and the reader who shares it with them. Picture books are an art that’s designed to be read aloud — essentially, to be performed.
A picture book may be short, but it’s one of the most complicated formats to create, using a limited number of words and artfully blending text and illustration. In this course, we’ll explore this form through fiction and nonfiction work of all kinds. You’ll learn about myths and misconceptions, examine the structure of story, and discover how to keep your audience delighted through many repeated readings.
Those interested in writing picture books for children. (No illustration ability required.)
What You’ll Learn
- Elements of craft critical to the creation of a picture book
- Techniques to discover and develop story ideas
- Dummy creation for picture book drafts
- Methods for revising your work
- Ways to shape and strengthen your narrative voice
Get Hands-On Experience
You’ll develop a draft of a picture book.