Restricted Operations Due to Coronavirus Outbreak

For the safety of our community, UWPCE has restricted operations due to the coronavirus outbreak.

For more information, see our FAQ

1098-T FAQ

1098-T FAQ


What’s a 1098-T form?

The 1098-T is tax form used by eligible educational institutions, including the University of Washington, to report the tuition and related expenses that a student paid and the scholarships and grants they received during the previous calendar year.

What should I do with the 1098-T form?

Your 1098-T may assist you in completing IRS Form 8863, which is used for calculating the education tax credits that a taxpayer may claim as part of their tax return. You can find detailed information about claiming education tax credits in IRS Publication 970 – Tax Benefits for Education.


Who gets a 1098-T form?

If you're a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who earned credit in a degree-seeking program at the University of Washington the previous year — and have provided your Social Security number —  you’ll get a 1098-T form from the UW at the end of January.

The 1098-T is available online on MyUW. It will also be mailed to your permanent address unless you opt for electronic delivery.

If I didn’t get a 1098-T, can I request one?

You can request a 1098-T by contacting the UWPCE accounting office at 206-685-6330. You must provide your Social Security number to get a 1098-T.


What information does the 1098-T form include?

The form includes:

  • Student name
  • Address
  • Social Security number OR tax identification number
  • Enrollment status
  • Academic status
  • Amounts paid for qualified tuition and related expenses (Box 1)
  • Scholarship or grant amounts (Box 5)
  • Adjustments to qualified tuition and related expenses for a prior year (Box 4)
  • Adjustments to scholarships or grants for a prior year (Box 6)

What's the definition of qualified tuition and related expenses (Box 1)?

Box 1 includes all the tuition and related fees you paid the previous year.

Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, Box 1 reports the amount of qualified tuition and related expenses you paid during the year, rather than what you were billed.

Why would my scholarship or grant amounts be adjusted (Box 6)?

Box 6 reports adjustments made to scholarships or grants reported in Box 5 of a prior year’s 1098-T. The amount reported in Box 6 may affect any allowable tuition and related expenses deductions or education credits you may have claimed for the prior year. For information on how to report these amounts, see IRS Form 8863 or consider consulting a tax advisor.   

If you have questions about Box 6 adjustments, you can contact the UWPCE accounting office a or 206-685-6330 to request an itemized breakdown.

For more information about the box amounts on the 1098-T, see the IRS instructions.

What if I need corrections to my 1098-T?

Contact the UWPCE accounting office at or 206-685-6330. When emailing, include your student ID number and indicate what needs to be corrected. You can print the corrected 1098-T from MyUW or you may ask to have the corrected 1098-T mailed to you.

  Stay up to date with emails featuring career tips, event invitations and program updates.       Sign Up Now