About this Course
In this course, you’ll put pen to paper and begin writing your memoir or personal essay collection. We’ll cover the essential aspects of the process: accountability, deadlines, feedback and support. You’ll create a plan for your manuscript and learn how to implement that plan. We’ll discuss the qualities of a unified and compelling chapter, as well as alternative modes of structuring personal narratives. We’ll also explore strategies for editing your work and for navigating the publication process. You’ll receive instructor and peer feedback on your work throughout the course.
Those who are ready to write the opening chapters of their memoir or the first several personal essays of a collection. You must have completed Memoir Writing: Structuring Your Story before taking this course.
What You’ll Learn
- The process for creating a manuscript outline and overview
- Techniques for crafting an opening chapter that pulls the reader in and introduces them to the world of the book
- Ways to plant crucial information, imagery and themes early in the work
- How to write a book proposal
- Tips for finding and querying a literary agent