About this Program
Technical communication today goes beyond writing traditional software documentation to include diverse web content, white papers and scientific publications, plus elements related to design and production. Technical writers are expected to bring both broad and deep knowledge, and skilled workers are in high demand.
In this three-course certificate program, we’ll cover all the fundamental concepts and practical applications of technical writing. You’ll learn about the styles, formats and requirements for different kinds of technical communication and how to adapt for each. Become a well-trained, confident technical writer who can hit the ground running in a variety of organizational roles.
▸ Related Article: Hot Jobs: Technical Writer
Professionals with some writing background who want to develop their technical writing abilities.
Joseph Welinske, an instructor for the Certificate in Professional Technical Writing, explains how this program helps communications professionals advance their careers.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Principles of visual and user-centered design, software user assistance, editing conventions, usability testing, layout concepts and publication formats
- The role of style and structure in technical communication
- Design techniques for different document types
- How to use industry-standard software tools and systems
GET HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE
- Complete in-class projects and peer workshops
- Produce a document development plan and final document for your portfolio