About this Program
The English writer H. G. Wells supposedly said, “No compulsion in the world is stronger than the urge to edit someone else's document.” If you are one of those so compelled, then you’re an editor at heart — and our four-course certificate program can help you channel that passion into a profession.
Here we’ll thoroughly explore key techniques of developmental editing, copy editing and collaborating with writers. You’ll develop the expertise to transform a rough draft — be it website copy or a book manuscript — into polished work. Whether you want to edit your own writing, work for someone else or launch an editing business, you’ll gain the skills and confidence you need to make it happen.
Those interested in becoming a professional editor or advancing in the field.
A graduate and an instructor from the Certificate in Editing explain how the program delivers the editorial skills and experience that employers look for today.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- How to edit for different audiences and content types, including academic documents, corporate communications, Web publications, fiction and narrative nonfiction
- Grammatical rules and how to utilize standard and customized style guides
- Online editing and content management tools and best practices
- Characteristics of different professional environments and strategies for determining the best fit for you
GET HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE
- Use Adobe Acrobat Pro and Microsoft Word editing tools
- Develop and carry out an editorial project with a working writer
APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP
You may be eligible to apply for a UWPCE Certificate Scholarship to cover most of the costs of this program. Scholarships are awarded based on financial need and the potential of the program to positively impact your career. See the scholarship page for eligibility information and application instructions.