About this Course
In this two-part course, we’ll explore both the big picture and the nuts and bolts of working as an editor. In the first five lessons, we’ll cover the role of editors today — what they do and where they do it. You’ll learn how editors fit into the publishing world and the different opportunities for editorial work.
In lessons six through 10, we’ll review the basic rules of grammar and usage. You’ll learn how to recognize and correct errors in content and how to clearly explain these corrections to authors and subject matter experts. You’ll discover what it takes to become a professional editor while you hone your skills and knowledge.
The course includes a tutorial on Microsoft Word and Proofreading for Editors Workshop, which is required for successful completion.
What You'll Learn
- The different milestones in a publishing project
- How language works and essential grammar skills
- How to structure your critique to make it productive
- Key resources for editing tasks
- Professional etiquette tips for editors