If you're thinking about a career in information security, your timing couldn't be better.
According to the Identity Theft Resource Center, the number of data breaches has more than doubled since 2008. In 2018 alone, companies like Marriott, Facebook and T-Mobile have all had customer data compromised, exposing hundreds of millions of consumers.
More than ever, businesses require another line of defense to protect their customers' data. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimated that job openings for information security analysts will grow nationally by 29% from 2016 to 2026, and by even more — a whopping 43% — in Washington state.
Ready to learn how to stop hackers in their tracks? UW Professional & Continuing Education has a variety of programs to prepare you for critical roles in cybersecurity.
Certificate in Cybersecurity
Prepare yourself to become a security analyst by learning how to protect all aspects of your company's IT operations from security threats and cyberattack. Get hands-on technical experience in planning, building and managing secure environments while learning how to defend against attacks and build contingency plans.
- Designed For: Systems or network administrators, software developers, security analysts and IT managers
- Duration: 8-9 months part time
- Location: Downtown Seattle or Online
Certificate in ethical hacking
Offensive security techniques are becoming an important part of the cybersecurity field. Learn how to think like a hacker and use their tools for ethical purposes. Uncover your company's security vulnerabilities in this hands-on technical program, which culminates in a capstone project.
- Designed For: Systems or network administrators, software developers, security analysts and IT managers with some programming experience
- Duration: 8 months part time
- Location: Online
certificate in cybersecurity risk management
In this management-focused program, you’ll learn how to oversee your company’s cybersecurity strategy and manage the attendant risks. We’ll survey the major types of threats and how to mitigate them. You’ll evaluate the costs and benefits of various security approaches and complete a consulting project for a real company. Walk away with the ability to create security risk management programs for organizations of any size.
- Designed For: IT, data security and risk management professionals
- Duration: 9 months part time
- Location: Online
master of science in information management
Offered by the UW iSchool, the MSIM offers six areas of specialization, including one in information security. Students in this track learn how to effectively manage and protect information assets.
- Designed For: Those looking to start or advance their careers in information management, with a focus on information security
- Duration: 1 year full time or 2 years part time
- Location: UW Seattle and Online
master of science in cybersecurity engineering, uw bothell
Learn how to build secure software systems from the ground up and respond to security incidents as they arise. You’ll gain hands-on experience in penetration testing, wireless and network security, cryptography, security of emerging technologies and more.
- Designed For: Those with a bachelor's degree in computer science or the equivalent
- Duration: 2 years full time or 3 years part time
- Location: UW Bothell
essentials of cybersecurity
Explore the dynamic field of cybersecurity in this low-cost, online certificate program offered as a MOOC through edX. Learn about various career paths in this high-demand field and find your niche.
- Designed For: Those interested in pursuing a career in cybersecurity
- Next Start: Enroll anytime
- Duration: Varies; typically four months (2-5 hours/week)
- Location: Online