About this Program
Note: This program is currently under development. Check back soon for course details and registration information. Courses will begin in fall 2017.
The Certificate in Writing replaces our certificate programs in Advanced Fiction Writing, Literary Fiction Writing, Memoir Writing, Nonfiction Writing, Popular Fiction Writing, Screenwriting, and Writing for Children.
Crisp, engaging writing always stands out, delivering meaning and capturing the attention and imagination of any reader. Whether you’re looking to hone your overall writing chops or focus on a particular type of writing, we offer a wide variety of courses to help you sharpen your skills and accomplish your goals.
Our flexible Certificate in Writing program allows you to personalize your experience and select courses that match your areas of interest. We offer courses in:
- Children’s Literature
- Publishing and Promotion
- Professional Communication
- Technical Writing
- Manuscript Consultation
Current and aspiring writers who want to develop their craft.
What You’ll Learn
The individual skills and knowledge you’ll gain from this program depends on the courses you choose. These can include:
- Techniques for creating vivid characters and scenes
- Developing your own voice and style
- Word choice, imagery, rhythm and cadence
- Elements of story that hook the reader
- Editing principles and practices
- Ways to craft clear professional communications
- Insights on getting your work published
Get Hands-On Experience
You’ll craft at least one manuscript or piece of writing that you can submit for publication or other formal use.
- Register for each course individually
- Start in any quarter
- Customize your own program
Earning the Certificate
After you complete your final course, you can get your certificate by submitting a request form.