About this Course
Documents are the currency for exchanging ideas in all industries around the world. All companies — large and small — rely on reports, proposals, research papers and narratives to share ideas, articulate vision and strategy, communicate plans and lead change. Knowing how to write well is an essential skill for anyone who wants to excel in the workplace.
In this course, you’ll learn what constitutes good business writing and how to write effective documents that are clear and concise. We’ll explore various kinds of business documents and focus on the importance of structure and writing to different audiences. Drawing on reader science, you’ll learn how to write persuasively and make your documents intuitive and readable without simplifying your ideas to the point of losing pertinent details. You’ll also receive instruction and coaching on how to build and use rubrics and learn tools for effective editing.
Technical and nontechnical professionals in any field who want to advance their career using well-researched and well-written narratives, proposals and reports.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- How to choose the right structure and style for your document
- How to design and organize content with your audience in mind
- Best practices for clear, concise and effective writing and editing
- Tips for when and when not to use visual elements such as analytics, graphics and white space to enhance readability
- How to develop and identify voice and tone in your and your colleagues’ writing
GET HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE
- Prepare detailed business documents with the help of colleagues in a writers room environment
- Write business documents with a group under the same time constraints found in current business climates
- Learn how professional writers create and edit documents with an eye toward accuracy under tight deadlines