About this Program
Paralegals play a vital role in the legal profession, providing key support services to attorneys in both public and private practice. Paralegal training has also grown in importance as many states — especially Washington — look to expand access to affordable legal representation, particularly in the areas of housing, family law and health care. As a result, job growth in the field is extremely robust.
In this certificate program, you’ll gain a solid understanding of the U.S. legal system and acquire the key knowledge and skills needed to work as a paralegal. We’ll explore major aspects of court systems, hearings, trials and laws and explore essential subjects such as litigation, legal research, contracts, technology and professional ethics.
▸ Related Article: Hot Jobs: Paralegal
Paralegals and those seeking to become paralegals or enter other law-related occupations.
An instructor and a graduate of the Certificate in Paralegal Studies talk about the educational and professional benefits of this highly respected program.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Legal theory and reasoning
- Fundamentals of legal research, writing and analysis, including terminology and resources
- All major aspects of litigation, covering areas such as criminal, environmental and family law
- Essential topics in business law, including contracts, corporations, real estate and banking
- Pre-eminent concerns related to professional and ethical responsibility in the legal field
In an effort to ensure the quality and rigor of this certificate program, it aligns with specific program goals.