Applications for the UW Certificate Scholarship are now closed. Applications for the next scholarship cycle open on May 1, 2020. To be notified when applications open, subscribe to our email list at the bottom of this page.
reach your potential
Education turns potential into possibility. Through the UW Certificate Scholarship program, you’ll have a chance to boost your potential — and your career — with a UW certificate.
Qualified individuals may apply for a scholarship to enroll in one of the following certificate programs in the fall:
What's the UW Certificate Scholarship?
The UW Certificate Scholarship program is an important way to break down barriers to a UW education and help you ignite a change in your career.
Scholarships range in value from $2,500 to $5,000, depending on the cost of the program. Scholarship recipients receive a waiver each quarter that covers the cost of 80% of registration and course fees. The student is responsible for the initial $50 application fee, the remaining 20% of fees, and the cost of any necessary books and other class materials.
Partners & Donors
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be living in Washington state and be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Apply and be accepted to one of the eligible certificate programs
- Not exceed the household income limits listed below*
- Not have access to financial assistance from your employer to pay for your program
- Not have been a part- or full-time student in the last 12 months (unless taking prerequisite courses)
- Not be a UW Continuum College employee or an immediate family member thereof
* To qualify for a UW Certificate Scholarship, your household income for the last calendar year can't exceed the amounts listed on this page. As part of the application, you'll be required to state your household income and provide a copy of your most recent income tax return.
People in Household
The UW strives to create a community of students richly diverse in cultural backgrounds, experiences, values and viewpoints. Individuals from all cultures and communities are encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
Carefully review the admission requirements for your chosen certificate program to make sure you qualify. If you have any questions, contact us.
Apply to the certificate program. Please submit your application by June 20, 2020, to ensure time for processing.
Check your email! We'll contact you within two weeks to let you know if you’ve been accepted into the certificate program. If you're accepted, you'll get a follow-up email with a link to the scholarship application.
- Complete the scholarship application and return it to the address on the form by July 6, 2020. Include a copy of your 2019 U.S. income tax return.
Scholarship Rules & Additional Details
Scholarship applications are accepted from May 1 through July 6, 2020. No late applications are accepted.
Scholarship applications must be submitted in person or by mail. If submitted by mail, your application must be postmarked no later than July 6, 2020.
Incomplete applications and applications from ineligible students will not be considered.
Applications and supporting documents can't be returned.
Applicants are notified about scholarship decisions by July 31, 2020.
You may apply for a scholarship for more than one certificate program, but you can only be awarded one UW Certificate Scholarship at any one time.
Scholarship decisions are made by a scholarship committee. The committee follows a predetermined scoring system in evaluating scholarship applications and all decisions are final.
Those selected for a scholarship will be required to sign and return the scholarship agreement by August 10 and complete registration, including payment of the balance for the first course, by August 31, 2020.
If the above deadlines are missed, the scholarship offer will expire and another candidate may be selected.
If you're not selected for a scholarship award and you decide to withdraw your certificate program application, you may request a refund of the application fee through August 14, 2020.
Scholarship awards can't be deferred and are not transferable to other certificate programs.
Scholarship recepients must successfully complete each course to receive the scholarship award for the remaining courses.
By signing the scholarship agreement, the recipient acknowledges the expectation that they will complete the certificate in three consecutive quarters.
Additional awards beyond the 80% may be awarded to students with extenuating circumstances as funds remain available.
Award recipients must agree to being interviewed and/or photographed for UW Professional & Continuing Education and UW Continuum College communications.