reach your Potential
Education turns potential into possibility. Through the UW Certificate Scholarship program, you’ll have a chance to boost your potential — and your career — with a UW certificate.
WHat’s the UW Certificate Scholarship?
The UW Certificate Scholarship program is an important way to break down barriers to a UW education and help you ignite a change in your career.
Scholarships range in value from $3,000 to $8,000, depending on the cost of the program. Scholarship recipients receive a waiver each quarter that covers at least 80% of registration and course fees for most programs. The student is responsible for the initial $50 application fee, the remaining fees, and the cost of any necessary books and other class materials.
Take the Next Step
After you apply and are accepted into an eligible certificate program, you’ll receive information about applying for a UW Certificate Scholarship. See the student eligibility criteria below.
To learn more, check out the following list of eligible certificate programs, talk to an enrollment coach and attend an information session.
Eligible Certificate Programs
Students who apply to one of these certificate programs may be eligible for a 2023 UW Certificate Scholarship.
Business & Leadership
Data & Applied Math
Education, Nonprofit & Society
Engineering, Construction & Sustainability
Marketing, Communication & Design
Programming & Tech
Who’s Eligible for this scholarship?
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be living in Washington state
- Apply and be accepted to one of the eligible certificate programs
- Not exceed the household income limits listed below for the previous calendar year*
- Not have access to financial assistance from your employer to pay for your program
- Not have been a part- or full-time student in the last 12 months (unless taking prerequisite courses)
- Not be a UW Continuum College employee or an immediate family member thereof
* To qualify for a UW Certificate Scholarship, your household income for 2022 can’t exceed the amounts listed on this page. As part of the application, you'll be required to state your household income and provide a copy of your 2022 federal income tax return.
People in Household
The University of Washington strives to create a community of students richly diverse in cultural backgrounds, experiences, values and viewpoints. Individuals from all cultures and communities are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
✔ Carefully review the admission requirements for your chosen certificate program to make sure you qualify. If you have any questions, contact us.
✔ Apply to the certificate program.
✔ Check your email! We’ll contact you within two weeks to let you know if you’ve been accepted into the certificate program. If you’re accepted, you’ll get an email with the scholarship application link.
✔ Complete the scholarship application by July 14, 2023. Scholarship applications will be accepted until the posted deadline. No late or incomplete applications are accepted.
✔ To confirm your income eligibility, submit your 2022 U.S. federal income tax return according to the instructions on the scholarship application.
✔ Check your email! We will let you know about scholarship decisions by July 28, 2023.
- Scholarships are not available for self-paced programs.
- You may apply for a scholarship for more than one certificate program, but you can only be awarded one UW Certificate Scholarship at a time.
- If you’re not selected for a scholarship award and you decide to withdraw your certificate program application, you may request a refund of the application fee within 15 days of the notification letter.
- Scholarship decisions are made by the Scholarship Committee. All decisions are final.
- Scholarship awards are not transferable to other certificate programs.
- Scholarship recipients must successfully complete each course in their certificate program to receive the scholarship award for the remaining courses.
- Scholarship recipients cannot be enrolled in other UW programs while completing their awarded certificate program.
- Scholarship awards cannot be deferred.
- Additional awards beyond the 80% may be awarded to students with extreme extenuating circumstances as funds remain available.
- Scholarship recipients must sign a Scholarship Agreement within two weeks of notification.
- Scholarship recipients must attend a Welcome Session and Program Information Session before the start of their program.
- Scholarship recipients must meet all deadlines for accepting, registering, and paying fees as stated in the Scholarship Agreement. Generally, course fees must be paid two weeks before the start of a course. If the deadlines are missed, the scholarship will expire.