reach your potential
Education turns potential into possibility. Through the UW Certificate Scholarship program, you’ll have a chance to boost your potential — and your career — with a UW certificate.
In spring 2021, applications will open for the next scholarship cycle. The following programs are likely to offer scholarships for a fall 2021 start:
What's the UW Certificate Scholarship?
The UW Certificate Scholarship program is an important way to break down barriers to a UW education and help you ignite a change in your career.
Scholarships range in value from $2,500 to $5,000, depending on the cost of the program. Scholarship recipients receive a waiver each quarter that covers at least 80% of registration and course fees. The student is responsible for the initial $50 application fee, the remaining fees, and the cost of any necessary books and other class materials.
Partners & Donors
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be living in Washington state and be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Apply and be accepted to one of the eligible certificate programs
- Not exceed the household income limits listed below for the previous calendar year*
- Not have access to financial assistance from your employer to pay for your program
- Not have been a part- or full-time student in the last 12 months (unless taking prerequisite courses)
- Not be a UW Continuum College employee or an immediate family member thereof
* To qualify for a UW Certificate Scholarship, your household income for 2019 can't exceed the amounts listed on this page. As part of the application, you'll be required to state your household income and provide a copy of your most recent income tax return.
People in Household
We encourage applications from those impacted by COVID-19 layoffs who meet the eligibility criteria above.
How To Apply
Carefully review the admission requirements for your chosen certificate program to make sure you qualify. If you have any questions, contact us.
Apply to the certificate program.
Check your email! We'll contact you within two weeks to let you know if you’ve been accepted into the certificate program. If you're accepted, you'll get a follow-up email with a link to the scholarship application.
- Complete the scholarship application online by the posted deadline.
- Send a copy of your 2019 U.S. federal income tax return to the address on the form. The envelope should be postmarked by the posted deadline.
Scholarship Rules & Additional Details
Scholarship applications will be accepted until the posted deadline. Supplemental materials submitted by mail must be postmarked no later than the posted deadline. No late applications are accepted.
Incomplete applications and applications from ineligible students will not be considered.
Applications and supporting documents can't be returned.
Applicants are notified about scholarship decisions within three weeks of the deadline.
You may apply for a scholarship for more than one certificate program, but you can only be awarded one UW Certificate Scholarship at any one time.
Scholarship decisions are made by a scholarship committee. The committee follows a predetermined scoring system in evaluating scholarship applications and all decisions are final.
Those selected for a scholarship will be required to sign and return the scholarship agreement within 10 days and complete registration, including payment of the balance for the first course, at least two weeks before the first class.
If the above deadlines are missed, the scholarship offer will expire and another candidate may be selected.
If you're not selected for a scholarship award and you decide to withdraw your certificate program application, you may request a refund of the application fee within 15 days of the notification letter.
Scholarship awards can't be deferred and are not transferable to other certificate programs.
Scholarship recipients enrolled in a self-paced program should plan to start their first course on August 31. All other recipients start their first course in autumn quarter.
Scholarship recipients must successfully complete each course to receive the scholarship award for the remaining courses.
By signing the scholarship agreement, the recipient acknowledges the expectation that they will complete the certificate in three consecutive quarters.
Additional awards beyond the 80% may be awarded to students with extenuating circumstances as funds remain available.
Award recipients must agree to being interviewed and/or photographed for UW Professional & Continuing Education and UW Continuum College communications.