About this Program
The digital revolution has transformed filmmaking, making it possible to produce independent movies and video projects without huge budgets, cameras or crews. This change means that many different organizations today use film and video as part of their work. Whether the goal is to fulfill a personal artistic vision, market a product or advance a cause, the fundamental need to tell a story remains paramount, and film is a powerful means to do it.
In this three-course certificate program, you’ll receive direct, hands-on experience creating visual stories that are intelligent, emotional, compelling, succinct and informative. We’ll cover the primary aspects of film production, including scripting, camera and lighting, sound, directing and editing. You’ll emerge with your own short film for your personal or professional portfolio.
Current and aspiring filmmakers and video production specialists.
What You’ll Learn
- Visual storytelling concepts, including script/story development, film vocabulary, tools and workflow
- Directing techniques: camera placement, lighting, staging a scene and communicating with an artistic team
- Editing skills, such as how to shoot with the edit in mind, using visual effects and executing your vision in the edit room
- The fundamentals of professional audio recording and sound sweetening
- Keys to filmmaking leadership: collaboration, crew management, directing on-camera performers and documentary interviewing
Get Hands-On Experience
You will write, shoot and edit your own film, either individually or with a class partner.