About this Program
To produce a quality photograph is to preserve a moment in a way that reveals the essence of the subject. The best pictures of today are a product of the latest digital photography tools and the timeless ability to visualize and capture an image of lasting impact.
In this three-course certificate program, you’ll develop the ability to take powerful photographs. We’ll survey the history of photography and learn from the masters, then guide you in developing your own personal style. Get extensive hands-on practice with a digital camera, and explore the basics of composition and fine art printing. Gain the skills required to launch your artistic or commercial career in photography.
Individuals who want to improve their photography skills, including aspiring professionals.
Instructor David Julian of the Certificate in Photography explains how the program enables both hobbyists and aspiring professional photographers to hone their craft.
what you'll learn
- Ways that social and political conditions, artistic trends and technology have influenced photography throughout history
- How to use sophisticated software to apply layers and filters and perform tasks such as scanning, color and tonality corrections, retouching and printing
- Different facets of professional practice, including fine art exhibition, freelancing and stock photography
- Insights on legal issues, self-publishing, grant writing, competitions and residencies
get hands-on experience
- Create a portfolio of your photography suitable for exhibition or professional use
- Practice using Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom
- Use professional printing equipment in the UW School of Art’s Mac lab
- Showcase your work in a year-end public exhibit and class anthology
- Have an opportunity to submit your images to Stratus: Journal of Arts & Writing