About this Program
Program managers play a mission-critical role in their organizations and provide essential strategic direction that directly impacts business outcomes. Great PMs have the communication and leadership skills needed to work with diverse stakeholders to blend disparate projects into an effective, unified program plan. These abilities are in high demand at large tech firms and in other major industries.
In this two-course certificate program, you’ll study material that directly aligns with the Program Management Professional (PgMP)® certification exam. You’ll develop a deep understanding of this key business role as you discover how to orchestrate all stages of a program — development, launch, life cycle, support and closure. Learn from experienced program managers and your peers as you improve your career trajectory.
▸ Related Article: How to Become a Program Manager
▸ Related Article: Find the Right Business Management Program for You
Professionals with a background in program management, project management or a related role.
To apply, you must have one of the following sets of requirements:
- A high school diploma, associate degree or the global equivalent plus four years of project management experience or two years of program management experience
- A bachelor's degree plus three years of project management experience or one year of program management experience
- Familiarity with common project management terminology
- Comfortable working with others, contributing to discussions and doing presentations in class
Including time in class, you should expect to spend about 7 to 9 hours each week on coursework.
If English is not your native language, you should have at least intermediate English skills to enroll. To learn more, see English Language Proficiency Requirements – Noncredit Programs.
Because this offering is 100% online, no visa is required and international students are welcome to apply. For more information, see Admission Requirements for International Students.
- Access to a computer with a recent operating system and web browser
- Microsoft Office 365 (available to students free of charge through the UW Microsoft Student Advantage program)
- High-speed internet connection
- Headset and webcam (recommended)
Earning the Certificate
You earn a certificate of completion by adhering to the program's attendance policy and successfully completing all required courses. For more information, see Earning the Certificate.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- How to define, realize, measure and sustain planned program benefits
- The different aspects of program governance
- The tools of stakeholder engagement
- How to manage and synchronize related projects that span roles, organizations, regions and cultures
PREPARE FOR PMI® CERTIFICATION
UW Professional & Continuing Education has been reviewed and approved as a program management training provider by the Project Management Institute (PMI)®. PMI® has approved these courses to issue professional development units (PDUs), which count toward the education requirements for the Program Management Professional (PgMP)® certification.
(PMI, PgMP and Program Management Professional are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.)
GET HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE
You’ll create actual deliverables, including a SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats) analysis, program proposal, program charter and program objectives.
Alumni working in field
Boeing, Microsoft, CBRE, Oodle, T-Mobile, Cisco
Projected job growth for managers in Washington state (2018-2028)
Average salary for managers in Washington state
OUR ENROLLMENT COACHES ARE HERE TO HELP
Connect with an enrollment coach to learn more about this offering. Or if you need help finding the right certificate, specialization or course for you, reach out to explore your options.