To apply you must have:
- One of the following:
- A bachelor’s degree
- Two years of college education with professional experience in a field such as planning, engineering, environmental sciences, utilities, resource management or branches of business that require spatial analysis
- Education or professional experience with GIS fundamentals and spatial data formats
- Ability to use ArcGIS Pro and/or Desktop for basic functions, such as spatial and attribute queries, map overlay and map display
Familiarity with the fundamental concepts of data analysis and statistics.
Familiarity with ArcGIS Online.
If you need help meeting the GIS requirements or want to brush up on your skills, we recommend the independent study detailed below. If you are new to GIS, you'll need to show evidence that you've taken three of the following Esri courses (the first two courses are required; you may choose between the last two):
These free online courses and tutorials are offered by Esri and provide essential and fundamental knowledge.
For some courses, you'll need ArcGIS Pro, which is available for free for a 21-day trial period.
- Getting to Know ArcGIS (third edition). This textbook teaches the basic functions and capabilities of ArcGIS Pro through practical project workflows and shows how to be productive with this essential component of the ArcGIS platform.
Including time in class, you should expect to spend about 10 to 15 hours each week on coursework.
If English is not your native language, you should have at least intermediate English skills to enroll. To learn more, see English Language Proficiency Requirements – Noncredit Programs.
International students are welcome to apply to an online offering of this program, which doesn’t require a visa. To enroll in a classroom offering, you must have a visa that permits study in the United States. This program does not enable students to obtain or maintain F-1 visa status. For more information, see Admission Requirements for International Students.
- Access to a recent computer (no more than five years old) with:
- Windows operating system (MacOS users would need to install and configure Windows emulation software in order to run the Esri ArcGIS software)
- At least 16GB of RAM
- 20GB or more of available disk space
- Recent web browser
- High-speed internet connection
- Headset and webcam (recommended)
Ideally, the computer meets the system requirements identified on the ArcGIS Pro website.
Earning the Certificate
You earn a certificate of completion by adhering to the program's attendance policy and successfully completing all required courses. For more information, see Earning the Certificate.