About this Program
Geographic information systems (GIS) combine the age-old science of cartography with powerful technology to generate all types of valuable spatial and geographic data. These systems have countless applications in industry, government and academia and are continually being used in new ways to change our view of the world around us.
In this certificate program, you’ll gain in-depth knowledge about GIS and the diverse workplace applications for these systems. We’ll examine the range of information sources that can be combined to build a GIS database, including raw data, scanned maps, GPS positions and aerial photography. You’ll learn how these systems are used to support research and decision making in a wide variety of fields, including land-use planning, environmental science and disaster preparedness.
Professionals who use GIS in their current role and those interested in entering the field.
Instructors of the Certificate in Geographic Information Systems, discuss the many uses of GIS, curriculum highlights and the professional diversity of students in this hands-on program.
what you'll learn
- Techniques for working with different types of geospatial data and databases
- How to derive, interpret and present results from spatial analyses
- Important aspects of GIS project design, development and management
- Ways to incorporate imagery, remote sensing data, 3D spatial data and field data into GIS projects and analysis
- GIS applications specific to the Pacific Northwest and Puget Sound region
Get Hands-On Experience
You’ll create a map based on GIS data using Esri ArcGIS for Desktop software (free one-year license provided).