About this Program
Note: This program replaces our certificate programs in Advanced Fiction Writing, Literary Fiction Writing, Memoir Writing, Nonfiction Writing, Popular Fiction Writing, Screenwriting, and Writing for Children.
Crisp, engaging writing always stands out, delivering meaning and capturing the attention and imagination of any reader. Whether you’re looking to hone your overall writing chops or focus on a particular type of writing, we offer a wide variety of courses to help you sharpen your skills and accomplish your goals.
Our flexible Certificate in Writing program allows you to personalize your experience and select courses that match your area of interest. Course categories include fiction, nonfiction, memoir, screenwriting, publishing and children's literature.
Current and aspiring writers who want to develop their craft.
What You’ll Learn
The individual skills and knowledge you’ll gain from this program depends on the courses you choose. These can include:
- Techniques for creating vivid characters and scenes
- Developing your own voice and style
- Word choice, imagery, rhythm and cadence
- Elements of story that hook the reader
- Insights on getting your work published
Get Hands-On Experience
You’ll craft at least one manuscript or piece of writing that you can submit for publication or other formal use.
earn your certificate
- Start the program in any quarter.
- Register for each course individually. You can take more than one course in the same quarter.
- To earn the certificate, complete the equivalent of three full-quarter courses — nine continuing education units (CEUs) — in two years or less. (Certificate Request Form)