About this Course
How do writers of memoir organize their material to create unified and compelling narratives? This is the key question that will guide us throughout this course in structuring your memoir.
We’ll read critically acclaimed memoirs together and analyze the functions of dramatic arc, chapter development and unifying threads. We’ll then dive into how experienced authors of memoir employ sections, transitions, prologues, epilogues and framing devices in structuring their material. You’ll be given multiple opportunities to generate new writing and receive insightful feedback.
Those interested in revising, completing and publishing their memoir.
What You’ll LeArn
- How to define your writing project goals in terms of overall organization and narrative arc
- Ways to utilize narrative modes in memoir writing: scene, summary and musing
- How to analyze your own writing and the work of others in relation to narrative modes, story structure, theme and use of time
- Techniques for identifying the anatomy of a scene and creating a fully realized scene
- Methods for applying the concepts you’ve learned to future writing projects