Help Center


 noncredit course grades

Students in noncredit courses earn one of three possible grades:

SC (Successful Completion)

A SC grade means you have fulfilled the course requirements as outlined by the instructor. Your instructor’s requirements may include expectations around attendance, participation and the completion of assignments.

USC (Unsuccessful Completion)

An USC grade means you have not met the course requirements as outlined by the instructor.

I (Incomplete)

An Incomplete grade is given only when the student:

  • Has been in attendance and done satisfactory work during the first 80 percent of the course (e.g., the first eight weeks of a 10-week course)
  • Provides satisfactory proof to the instructor of why the work cannot be completed on time due to illness or other circumstances beyond the student’s control

If the instructor grants an Incomplete, you must complete all remaining assignments within 2 weeks (14 days) of the last class session. Your instructor has an additional week (7 days) to review your work and record a grade of either SC or USC. Students who have not completed course requirements by this time will automatically earn a grade of USC. Contact your instructor for more information about the process for requesting and converting an Incomplete.

If you’re unable to complete the course on time due to a permanent or temporary disability, contact the Disability Services Office to discuss needs and potential accommodations.

Grade Reports

Your grade is mailed to you at the end of each quarter and recorded on your UWPCE official record.

Grade Requirements for Certificate Programs

If you’re enrolled in a noncredit certificate program, you must earn a SC grade in one course to progress to the next one and ultimately earn the certificate

credit course grades

Students in credit courses are graded according to UW’s grading system, which differs for undergraduate and graduate courses. For more information, see:

Note: A non-matriculated student enrolled in a credit certificate program that's not associated with a degree program follows the Incomplete policies for noncredit courses. 

S/NS (Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory)

If you don’t plan to apply your course credits to a future degree, you may request to be graded on an S/NS (satisfactory/not satisfactory) basis at the time of registration. You get credit for the course only if you earn an S grade. S/NS grades are not factored into your GPA.

Auditing a Course

You may request to audit a credit course when you register. When auditing a course, you pay the same costs and fees as a regular student, but you earn no grade and no credit.  

Grade Reports

Grades earned for credit courses are included in your UW GPA and appear on your UW transcript.

Grade Requirements for Certificate Programs

If you’re enrolled in a credit certificate program, you must receive a passing grade in one course in order to progress to the next one and ultimately earn the certificate. Some credit certificate programs require that students earn a minimum grade in each course and/or maintain a minimum cumulative GPA.