About this Program
Developing new biotechnology and pharmaceutical products is an extremely complex and highly regulated process. Specialized, highly trained project managers play an essential role in shepherding these valuable products through the pipeline and bringing them successfully to market.
In this four-course online certificate program, we’ll cover the product development process from start to finish. You’ll explore the key skills needed for project management within the biotech environment from a clinical, technical and regulatory perspective. Then you’ll practice applying this knowledge to the biotech and drug development life cycle. Get prepared to make an impact in this exciting, rapidly changing field.
This certificate program is jointly designed and offered by UW Professional & Continuing Education and UC San Diego Extended Studies. Each university has developed and teaches two of the four courses. When you complete the program, you’ll receive a joint UW-UCSD certificate. You have the option of earning academic credit for the UCSD courses.
Professionals in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries and those interested in entering these fields.
What You'll Learn
- Standards and processes for project management in the biotechnology field
- Critical factors for the initiation, planning and execution phases of biotech and pharmaceutical product development
- The impact of regulatory requirements on the development process
- How to handle the unique challenges of product development in a highly regulated environment
Get Hands-on Experience
- Complete a capstone project that simulates the clinical development cycle
- Develop and present a detailed project plan that can be added to your professional portfolio
- Use project management tools such as Microsoft Project; free copy of the software provided
prepare for pmp® certification
University of Washington Professional & Continuing Education has been reviewed and approved as a provider of project management training by the Project Management Institute (PMI)®. UWPCE has been approved by PMI to issue professional development units (PDUs) for the UW courses, which fulfill the education requirements for the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
(PMI, PMP and Project Management Professional are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.)
Alumni working in field
Projected job growth for project management specialists in Washington state (2018-2028)
Bristol Myers Squibb, Fred Hutch, Merck, Genetech, nanoString, Adaptive Biotechnologies
OUR ENROLLMENT COACHES ARE HERE TO HELP
Connect with an enrollment coach to learn more about this offering. Or if you need help finding the right certificate, specialization or course for you, reach out to explore your options.