About this Program
When you marvel at the sound of the latest hit song, popular video game or Hollywood blockbuster film, you are enjoying the work of audio engineers. These sound wizards use cutting-edge tools and technologies to produce audio that enthralls and entertains us in a variety of ways.
In this three-course certificate program, you’ll explore the technical principles and creative skills required to complete professional sound projects. We’ll study the basics of editing, mixing, storage media and the mastering process. You’ll get experience with acoustics, microphones and analog and digital recording, and you'll apply your knowledge to create a pro-quality audio project for music or film.
Individuals who want a practical foundation in professional audio production, including those that want to enter or advance in the field.
Alum Jacob Christensen talks about the value of earning his Certificate in Audio Production.
What you'll learn
- The physics and terminology of sound
- Elements of sound production, including signal processing, MIDI and synchronization
- Techniques for multi-track recording and overdubs
- Software-based production techniques to create digital audio files
- Complete a music production or film/video post-production project
- Practice in a professional sound studio and learn to use sophisticated audio recording software, including Pro Tools
- Take field trips to local sound studios
- Participate in special Saturday sessions on plug-ins and location sound for film and video
- Have the opportunity to submit your work to Stratus: Journal of Arts & Writing