About this Course
In this course, you'll get a broad and general understanding of the technical concepts underlying databases. You'll learn about relational database management systems (RDBMS) and design and implement a basic relational database from scratch. You'll also explore the Structured Query Language (SQL) used to create, manipulate and operate a relational database.
You can take this course on its own or use it to prepare for one of these programs:
Anyone interested in developing fundamental database and SQL skills.
▸ Related Article: Four Skills You Need to Get Started in Data Analytics
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- The database development life cycle (spec, design, build, operate)
- The differences between transactional databases and decision support databases
- Techniques for designing a basic database using entity relationship diagram (ERD) modeling and an introduction to normalization
- Data integrity principles for every level of design
- Basic database security and administration
GET HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE
- Write increasingly complex queries to extract answers from data
- Interview a client and create an entity relationship diagram (ERD) for a real-world business problem
- Complete a final database project that applies all the skills of the course