Achieve Your Future
Education turns potential into possibility. And with our new UW Professional & Continuing Education Certificate Scholarship program, you’ll have a chance to boost your potential — and your career — with a UW certificate program.
We’ll award income-based scholarships to up to 10 students who’d like to start one of the following certificate programs in fall 2017:
What is the UWPCE Certificate Scholarship?
The UWPCE Certificate Scholarship is a new way for us to break down barriers to a UW education and help you ignite a change in your career. Learn more about why we created this scholarship.
Award amounts range from $3,000 to $4,000, depending on the cost of your certificate program. Scholarship recipients will receive a waiver each quarter that covers registration and course fees; the initial $50 application fee for the certificate program and the cost of any necessary books and other class materials are not covered.
Who’s Eligible for This Award?
To be considered for a UWPCE Certificate Scholarship, you must:
- Be a current resident of Washington state
- Apply and be accepted to one of the five eligible certificate programs for a fall 2017 start
- Not exceed household income limits*
- Not have access to financial assistance from your employer or a third party to pay for your program
- Intend to complete the full certificate program, taking the courses over three consecutive quarters
- Be willing to let us share your story in UW Professional & Continuing Education and UW Continuum College promotional materials online and in print
- Not be a UW employee or family member of a UW employee
*To qualify for this scholarship, your household income for the last calendar year cannot exceed the amounts listed below. As part of the application, you’ll be required to provide a copy of your 2016 income tax return.
People in Household
How Do You Apply?
Carefully review the admission requirements for your chosen certificate program to make sure you qualify. If you have any questions, contact us.
Apply to the certificate program. (Don’t delay — certificate programs can fill up quickly.)
Check your email! We'll contact you within two weeks to let you know if you’ve been accepted into the certificate program. If you're accepted, you'll get a follow-up email with a link to the scholarship application. (The form is not available on our website.)
- Complete the scholarship application, if you meet the eligibility requirements, and return it with a copy of your 2016 tax return to the address on the form.
Scholarship Application Deadline
All scholarship applications are due by Monday, July 10, 2017. After you submit your application, keep an eye on your inbox. We’ll notify you about scholarship decisions by July 31, 2017.
Scholarship Rules & Additional Details
- Scholarship applications will be accepted from May 1 through July 10, 2017. No late applications can be accepted.
- Scholarship applications must be submitted in person or by mail or email. If submitted by mail, your application must be postmarked no later than July 10, 2017.
- Incomplete applications and applications from ineligible students will not be considered.
- Applications and supporting documents cannot be returned.
- Applicants will be notified about scholarship decisions by July 31, 2017.
- You may apply for a scholarship for more than one certificate program, but you can only be awarded one UWPCE Certificate Scholarship at any one time.
- Scholarship decisions are made by a scholarship committee. The committee follows a predetermined scoring system in evaluating scholarship applications and all decisions are final.
- Those selected for a scholarship will have 15 days from notification to sign and return the scholarship agreement and complete the enrollment process. After 15 days, the scholarship offer will expire and another candidate may be selected.
- If you are not selected for a scholarship award and you decide to withdraw your certificate program application, you may request a refund of the application fee through August 15, 2017.
- Scholarship awards cannot be deferred and are not transferable to other certificate programs.
- Scholarship recipients must successfully complete each course in their certificate program to receive the scholarship award for the remaining courses. By signing the scholarship agreement, the recipient acknowledges the expectation that he or she will complete the certificate in three consecutive quarters.