Applications for the 2018 Certificate Scholarship program are now closed.
The following information reflects our previous scholarship program cycle and is likely to change for our next cohort.
To get information about the next scholarship cycle, including application dates, subscribe to our email list at the bottom of this page.
Achieve Your Future
Education turns potential into possibility. With our UW Certificate Scholarship, you’ll have a chance to boost your potential — and your career — with a UW certificate program.
In 2018, we awarded 12 income-based scholarships to qualified students who plan to start one of the following certificate programs in the fall.
What is the UW Certificate Scholarship?
Launched in 2017, the UW Certificate Scholarship program is an important way to break down barriers to a UW education and help you ignite a change in your career.
In 2018, we offered full and partial scholarships, ranging in value from $2,500 to $5,000, depending on the cost of the program. Scholarship recipients receive a waiver each quarter that covers the cost of registration and between 80 and 100 percent of course fees. The initial $50 application fee for the certificate program and the cost of any necessary books and other class materials are not covered.
Want to know more? Read about why we created the certificate scholarship.
Who Is Eligible for This Award?
To be considered for a UW Certificate Scholarship, you must:
- Be living in Washington state and be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Apply and be accepted to one of the 10 eligible certificate programs for a fall start.
- Not exceed the household income limits listed on this page. *
- Not have access to financial assistance from your employer or a third party to pay for your program.
- Intend to complete the full certificate program, taking the courses over three consecutive quarters.
- Be willing to let us share your story in UW Professional & Continuing Education and UW Continuum College promotional materials online and in print.
- Not be a UW Continuum College or UW Professional & Continuing Education employee or an immediate family member thereof.
* To qualify for a UW Certificate Scholarship, your household income for the last calendar year cannot exceed the amounts listed on this page. As part of the application, you will be required to state your household income and provide a copy of your most recent income tax return.
People in Household
How Do You Apply?
Carefully review the admission requirements for your chosen certificate program to make sure you qualify. If you have any questions, contact us.
Apply to the certificate program.
Check your email! We'll contact you within two weeks to let you know if you’ve been accepted into the certificate program. If you're accepted, you'll get a follow-up email with a link to the scholarship application. (The form is not available on our website.)
- Complete the scholarship application, if you meet the eligibility requirements, and return it with a copy of your 2017 U.S. income tax return to the address on the form.
When is the Application Deadline?
All scholarship applications were due by Monday, July 2, 2018. Students were notified about scholarship decisions by July 31, 2018.
Scholarship Rules & Additional Details
Scholarship applications were accepted from April 18, 2018, through July 2, 2018. No late applications are accepted.
Scholarship applications must be submitted in person, by mail or by email. If submitted by mail, your application must be postmarked no later than July 2, 2018.
Incomplete applications and applications from ineligible students will not be considered.
Applications and supporting documents cannot be returned.
Applicants are notified about scholarship decisions by July 31, 2018.
You may apply for a scholarship for more than one certificate program, but you can only be awarded one UW Certificate Scholarship at any one time.
Scholarship decisions are made by a scholarship committee. The committee follows a predetermined scoring system in evaluating scholarship applications and all decisions are final.
Those selected for a scholarship have 15 days from notification to sign and return the scholarship agreement and complete the enrollment process. After 15 days, the scholarship offer expires and another candidate may be selected.
A condition of the scholarship is permission to use your story and photo in UW Professional & Continuing Education and UW Continuum College promotional materials online and in print.
If you are not selected for a scholarship award and you decide to withdraw your certificate program application, you may request a refund of the application fee through August 15, 2018.
Scholarship awards cannot be deferred and are not transferable to other certificate programs.
Scholarship recipients must successfully complete each course in their certificate program to receive the scholarship award for the remaining courses.
By signing the scholarship agreement, the recipient acknowledges the expectation that he or she will complete the certificate in three consecutive quarters.