reach your potential
Education turns potential into possibility. Through the UW Certificate Scholarship program, you’ll have a chance to boost your potential — and your career — with a UW certificate.
Scholarships are available for eligible students looking to start one of the following certificate programs in the fall:
What is the UW Certificate Scholarship?
Launched in 2017, the UW Certificate Scholarship program is an important way to break down barriers to a UW education and help you ignite a change in your career.
Scholarships range in value from $2,500 to $4,500, depending on the cost of the program. Scholarship recipients receive a waiver each quarter that covers the cost of registration and 80 percent of course fees. The initial $50 application fee for the certificate program and the cost of any necessary books and other class materials are not covered.
Want to know more? Read about why we created the certificate scholarship.
Who Is Eligible for This Award?
To be considered for a UW Certificate Scholarship, you must:
- Be living in Washington state and be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Apply and be accepted to one of the 10 eligible certificate programs for a fall start.
- Not exceed the household income limits listed on this page. *
- Not have access to financial assistance from your employer or a third party to pay for your program.
- Intend to complete the full certificate program, taking the courses over three consecutive quarters.
- Be willing to let us share your story in UW Professional & Continuing Education and UW Continuum College promotional materials online and in print.
- Not be a UW Continuum College or UW Professional & Continuing Education employee or an immediate family member thereof.
* To qualify for a UW Certificate Scholarship, your household income for the last calendar year cannot exceed the amounts listed on this page. As part of the application, you will be required to state your household income and provide a copy of your most recent income tax return.
People in Household
The UW strives to create a community of students richly diverse in cultural backgrounds, experiences, values and viewpoints. Individuals from all cultures and communities are encouraged to apply.
How Do You Apply?
Carefully review the admission requirements for your chosen certificate program to make sure you qualify. If you have any questions, contact us.
Apply to the certificate program. Please submit your certificate application by June 30, 2019 to ensure there is enough time to process your application.
Check your email! We'll contact you within two weeks to let you know if you’ve been accepted into the certificate program. If you're accepted, you'll get a follow-up email with a link to the scholarship application.
- Complete the scholarship application and return it with a copy of your 2018 U.S. income tax return to the address on the form.
Please note: If you are not selected for the scholarship, you will have the option to withdraw your program application and request an application fee refund.
When is the Application Deadline?
All scholarship applications are due by Monday, July 22, 2019. Students will be notified about scholarship decisions by Aug. 9, 2019.
Before students can apply for a certificate scholarship, they must apply and be accepted to one of the qualifying certificate programs. Please submit your certificate application by June 30, 2019.
Scholarship Rules & Additional Details
Scholarship applications are accepted from May 1, 2019 through July 22, 2019. No late applications are accepted.
Scholarship applications must be submitted in person, by mail or by email. If submitted by mail, your application must be postmarked no later than July 22, 2019.
Incomplete applications and applications from ineligible students will not be considered.
Applications and supporting documents cannot be returned.
Applicants are notified about scholarship decisions by Aug. 9, 2019.
You may apply for a scholarship for more than one certificate program, but you can only be awarded one UW Certificate Scholarship at any one time.
Scholarship decisions are made by a scholarship committee. The committee follows a predetermined scoring system in evaluating scholarship applications and all decisions are final.
Those selected for a scholarship will be required to sign and return the scholarship agreement by Aug. 19 and complete registration, including payment of the balance for the first course, by Aug. 30, 2019.
If the above deadlines are missed, the scholarship offer will expire and another candidate may be selected.
If you are not selected for a scholarship award and you decide to withdraw your certificate program application, you may request a refund of the application fee through Aug. 23, 2019.
Scholarship awards cannot be deferred and are not transferable to other certificate programs.
Scholarship recipients must successfully complete each course in their certificate program to receive the scholarship award for the remaining courses.
By signing the scholarship agreement, the recipient acknowledges the expectation that they will complete the certificate in three consecutive quarters.
Award recipients must agree to being interviewed and/or photographed for UW Professional and Continuing Education and UW Continuum College communications.